Sunday, 23 October 2022

🎎 You Deserve

So it's been a month and a half in university and so far it's going pretty well for me. Except for the fact that I didn't actually play much guitar despite having so much free time this trimester. Joining the rock climbing CCA and going for the occasional part-time work seems to eat up most of my time.

But still, I force myself to stick to the one-post-per-month minimum quota. It can be about gear (since I seldom buy any now) or about a guitar cover. So for the month of October 2022, I chose to cover an old classic.


As the picture mentions, You Deserve is a super old song from Hillsong. I used to sing this song many many years ago when I first became a Christian. Recently, I just heard Grace Assembly play it again! So nostalgic!!! Since my skills improved a lot, I'd figured I might be good enough to play this song.

Why? Because of the fast picking lead line. When I first started out on guitar, fast picking was very daunting to me. Now it's meh. The fast picking can be heard in the intro, turnaround and bridge. Very iconic sound I would say.

I spent quite a bit of time choosing the suitable patch for the sound. Didn't like the mellowness of DH's Chimera patch. Also didn't like the harshness of WT's Super Thunder. Ended up using DH's All-In patch. Used a single Fulltone OCD for the entire song. Other effects include dotted 8th delay and a touch of reverb.

Song was relatively simple. The parts are tedious, but straightforward. Even wore my $28 Transend tee-shirt for the recording. It's the first climber tee-shirt I own and I'm proud to be both a guitarist and a climber. Here's the link to the video! Enjoy!

On the other side of the world, Fulltone has announced its permanent closure recently and it suddenly makes all Fulltone OCDs a part of history. Mine especially since I think the Germanium version is super duper rare in Singapore. Now that Fulltone shut down, it just became a piece of vintage gear. I love it so much I never wanna let it go!

The only update I can think of right now is that I desperately want a humbucking guitar now. I have been looking at a lot of Les Pauls lately and if the price is right on a Standard from Gibson, I'll make the purchase. Weight doesn't matter as much as the glory of owning a Gibson Les Paul. Till next time! Peace out!

Edwin Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

📖 Psalm 95:1-2

O come, let us sing unto the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation! Let us come before Him with thanksgiving and extol Him with music and song.