Prior to my previous post, I got this Epiphone Les Paul Special II in Vintage Sunburst for a total of $30. I gave it a good clean and transformed it from a dusty guitar to a shiny one. But because I was lacking a new set of strings, I did not know how the guitar sounds like when plugged in. (I think most of you know where this is heading.) The strings (cheap lousy $5 strings) finally arrived on Wednesday afternoon. The hunger for tone was so unbearable as I quickly re-strung the guitar. Finally, I plugged it in.
The first few strums made me shriek. Granted, it was only the first few strums, perhaps I needed to test it more. Tried all of my different types of licks on it for the next whole 15 minutes; from bending to fast picking, there wasn't a style that made me raise my eyebrows. Shaking my head all the way, I knew I was done with it, so done. The intonation was so poor that however I tuned it, it won't stay in tune. There was fret buzz literally on every string at every fret. The buzz was both acoustically and electrically. Granted, fret and intonations can be settled via a few simple tweaking. But something else made me snap: The volume knob. The tone knob and 3-way toggle switch was perfectly fine. It's the volume knob. Every single time I touch (not yet turn, just touch only) the volume knob, there would be severe interference noise coming out from my amp. It got so irritating that I practically just pulled out my cable. And even the pulling out has problems. LOL. The output socket clearly needs adjustments too; it requires too much force to unplug the guitar.
Okay enough complains. I won't ever touch a low end Epiphone ever again. Even the low end Squiers doesn't fare as bad. Somehow, I managed to sell it off at $120 on Thursday night. At least I earned a profit of $90 out of this whole deal. Then, as soon as I received the $120 in cash, it too, was gone in a flash. *Inserts sneaky grin here* I will talk about this later. First let us enjoy some of my last moments with this beautiful but crappy guitar.
A peaceful moment between 2 brothers that will never ever meet again until eternity ends.
A short family photo; it fits right in but seems like it's trying to copy someone else.
And there you have it, the last photos of the Epiphone Les Paul Special II in Vintage Sunburst. Really really didn't expect myself to let it go so fast. Seems like Gibson is still better, much much better, obviously. HAHAHA. I had no choice. BECAUSE I NEED THIS $120........TO BUY A PEDAL POWER SUPPLY. Yes you've heard it. Same Thursday night, I went to meet the seller of this Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus. I bargained with him until he dropped the price to $120, which fits in nicely. And yes, genuine VL Power Supply! WOW!
Look at it, so amazing right? For a 10 years old power supply, it certainly looks, feels and even smells like it was just bought yesterday. And finally, the main piece to my pedalboard has been found. I have no regrets letting go my Special II for this power supply; this is so worth it. Best still, if in the future I decide to sell it, $120 is still a crazy good price to go. But for now, I need to hunt for power cables and patch cables. Because it's time to go gear-crazy mode!!!!
Cheers!
Edwin Ang
3rd June 2016
***Update as of 13th May 2018: The PP2+ is no longer with me. It has been sold for $160.










No comments:
Post a Comment