Greetings to all. Today is a good day, because another member just joined my collection. The newest member is a Yamaha JR2S acoustic guitar, mostly referenced as the baby of the FG Yahama series. I figured I need a super lightweight guitar to be able to practice in camp, or any other locations if I'm on the go.
Enter the Yamaha Junior. This small little guitar is 3/4 the size of a standard FG series guitar, but it really feels so much smaller than 3/4. This picture does no justice to the mini size of the guitar so I'm gonna put a comparison photo up now.
Seen beside and in the background is my beloved Yamaha FSX830C. I don't really mind bringing the Yamaha FSX830C up on stage for shows. But for practice purposes, a $650 guitar is too expensive and risky. Especially for playing during my stay-in period, I think the JR2S fits the bill perfectly.
It's small size will be beneficial as I can stuff it inside the locker during standby-areas and when I'm not around. The weight will also be useful when I'm already carrying a crazy field pack load. The guitar itself is pretty loud and clear. Some ukulele's frequencies can be heard but that's alright to me.
This guitar is made of solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides, giving me the classic all-time favourite warmth of a Yamaha. The rosewood fretboard looks amazing on it too! The purchase comes with a gig bag that is similar to the colour scheme of PRS's gig bag and I gotta say the bag itself is pretty sturdy.
There's a minor cosmetic flaw when I gave the new instrument a rather detailed inspection at the store just now. Unfortunately, the price can't get any lower than $242 so the cashier decided to throw me a polish cloth and new strings for free. Can't say no because I'm pretty sure more dings are about to arrive when I step into camp with it.
I would say the new strings would be quite handy when I need it, but the cloth, meh. I don't really use cloths to wipe down my guitars, or maybe I should start doing just that. Also, I pulled the gun on one of D'Addario's string winder. That thing looks too good to be sitting on the shelves.
With that, I think today is really good day. Being able to add this guitar into my collection will spare me more time to prepare for songs which I otherwise couldn't when I'm in camp. Now I've officially became the true Fender and Yamaha owner. 2 brands that each have their own successes.
Till next time, see ya!
Edwin Ang
30th June 2018
***As of 18th January 2019, the Yamaha JR2S is no longer with me. It has been sold for $100 to a loving mother who wanted a nice guitar for her son!












No comments:
Post a Comment