On 22nd February 2017, I ended my last and final exam paper of my Polytechnic education. Congrats to myself for coming this far. Anyways, my guitar strings broke last week; there's no better time to get new strings. Turns out that Swee Lee sells electric guitar Elixir strings at the same price as Davis, so no more Davis for me. Now to the main topic of today!
![]() |
| Click here for video! |
The very first cover for 2017 would be this song called Closer (unfortunately not by Chainsmokers), by Hillsong United. This is one of the older songs that has been around for quite some time already. This is one of the first few songs I picked up almost 4 years ago. Back then, I only had a Line 6 M13, which is incapable of achieving Dotted 8th Delay accurately, hence I couldn't practice any further.
Today, I have everything I need to record this song. I used the DD-5's tap tempo to dial in my dotted 8th. I am very happy with that. I set the feedback to noon so it sounds just nice. I kept the level of the delay at around 11 o'clock so that the echo won't interfere too much with the main sound. Kicked on the reverb the entire time because dotted 8th is amazing with spring reverb. As usual, SP compressor is always on. I used maximum overdrive on the OS-2 for most parts except the clean bridge part, for which I kicked on the TS-9 instead.
The song is pretty much very easy to play. I still can't nail the exact palm mutes for the verse part because the song is heavily affected by the keyboard sounds, so much that I can't hear what's going on. The chorus is made of my favourite 3 chords in my favourite order C, Am and F. Of course I play it high up towards the 12th fret because it sounded sick with distortion. The bridge is another crazy nice riff that I can go on and on with. Last but not least, the lead line is crazily addictive, both to hear and to play.
I actually made quite a few mistakes in the video. A few were due my fingers being so sweaty I couldn't hold the notes properly. The others were timing issues. As if that's not bad enough, Windows Movie Maker decided to bring more trouble by giving me latency issues. I had actually recorded 3 more overlay videos to use during the chorus with me playing notes instead of chords. But I don't really know how to put video into video so I gave up the idea. Maybe someday I can commit enough to buy a decent software to edit my videos. Till then, I'm still using my phone to record and WMM to edit!
So that's all for my first guitar cover of many to come this year!
Cheers!
Edwin Ang
24th February 2017
***Check out the new and improved version of this guitar cover here!


No comments:
Post a Comment