All these can be explained with a simple statement: The Tech 21 Blonde is one heavenly sounding boutique pedal.
After hearing that my church is mostly running direct-in these days, I started research on the pedals I need to get in order to achieve a decent direct-in sound. I soon realise it's a trend now to play direct into a mixer as stages are getting smaller and it's more convenient to bring a pedal than an amplifier. That is when I came across 2 leading names for this particular area: AMT & Tech 21.
The AMT Legend Series is a tough competitor, with enclosures the size of standard guitar pedals, and 3 different outputs that can be used simultaneously. I eventually decided on the AMT Chameleon Cab instead because it's $100 cheaper and I don't have to stress over the crazy controls on the Legend Series.
I had absolutely no intentions of even considering the Tech 21 Character Series because the pedal's enclosure is slightly bigger. But when I plugged it in at the Ebenex store, the AMT pedals sounds like crap compared to the Tech 21 Blonde. Not even kidding. As a pedalboard dude, I have to plan carefully about board real estate, but the Blonde sounds way too good.
If not for Ebenex going out of stock for the AMT M2, O2, V2 or F2, I probably would have went the AMT route. But those classic sounds were not fated for me so I went with the Blonde, which emulates a Fender amplifier. The pedal comes in a cool black metal casing, which I thought is amazing since it's a boutique pedal company. At $270, it might be a little out of reach for some people but hey, my August pay just came in today!
The Character knob on the Tech 21 Blonde is the main reason why the pedal is so popular. There is a huge range of sounds inside just one knob, and it makes the pedal very very versatile. With a switch to turn off Cabinet Simulation, I can even use the Blonde as an Overdrive pedal. I am just very happy to be an owner of such an amazing pedal!
Inside the casing is a soft padding that protects the pedal from the case floor. The sides however are not protected. It comes along with a couple of instruction manuals and a Tech 21 sticker. Overall, this is a much better packaging compared to many other boutique pedal makers.
Derek from Ebenex was so helpful throughout my time spent there. He let me use his custom-made Warmoth Stratocaster to test the pedals and he gives great advice about direct-in situations. I walked out of Ebenex feeling so good!
Edwin Ang
9th September 2017






No comments:
Post a Comment