Sunday, 17 September 2017

🎎 You (Hillsong United)

2 more weeks, before I enlist into the Singapore Army and have my free time cut down to just weekends. As excited as I am to embark on this next phase of life, I can't bear to spend lesser time with the things I love most on earth: My guitars.

So without further ado, let me present my guitar cover for the month of September...

Click here for video!

This song is also one of the oldest songs in my phone. It dates back to the days when I first became a Christian. I faintly remember trying my best to match the triplet 140 BPM without any guitar effects on my first guitar, the Squier Bullet Stratocaster. Of course I gave up after a while... ðŸ˜‚

This song means a lot to me because it is one of my favourite songs, even till now. However, it's not the guitar parts that attracted me, but the drums parts. The intricate yet simple rhythm is one addictive beat. I hope one day my younger brother is able to master that beat and jam this song together with me! Oh and the "Oh oh oh" parts of the instrumentals is phenomenal!


With pedals like the Fulltone OCD and the Strymon Timeline, it's a good time to give this song another try. With a strong quarter note digital delay throughout the song, it screams "Hillsong" for every note I play. The compressor and spring reverb are the usual leave-it-on pedals. The OCD is my chosen drive (again). I wanted to kick on the TS9 for some extra dirt boost at the turnaround chords part because I'm only playing 2 strings and it sounded thin. But unfortunately I was quite lazy. ðŸ˜‚


I used my Gretsch G5420T in this video. The strange thing is, I acquired this guitar after the Deluxe Strat, so the Deluxe should be first. But the nature of this song calls for a semi-hollow more than a solid-body. The main riff and chorus are completely single notes in triplets. There is very little chord usage so a solid-body can't shine here. The verses and pre-chorus sounds amazing too! Overall, this song is still one of the classics I prefer to listen to!

There's just one problem left with recording guitar covers now: I need to try direct-in recording because this current way just picks up too much external noises. My phone even picks up the raw guitar strumming sounds, which kinda pisses me off. I am looking forward to get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Gen 2 to couple with my Tech 21 Blonde and finally do some real recording!

And that's all for this short post. I will most likely be recording one more song with my Deluxe Stratocaster before I enlist and schedule it to auto-post in the middle of October. So stay tuned for that!

More of You, less of me. I praise you God!

Edwin Ang
17th September 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

📖 Psalm 95:1-2

O come, let us sing unto the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation! Let us come before Him with thanksgiving and extol Him with music and song.