Also, my cajon is the super budget model so the difference in the sounds isn't very distinct. This makes recording with something like a phone's microphone sound like me just hitting a box with no direction. I've tried and yeap, it doesn't work out.
For my rhythm guitar, I needed something sweet and I found it at the combined pickups position. The single strum at every bar had to deliver the tasty backdrop mixed in with strong reverbs. Used the WT's Archigator patch for it and had no regrets. Strong dirt lines in the chorus too!
Acoustic presence can be heard distinctly in the original song. Therefore, I applied a dynamic strumming pattern that varies throughout the song, and set the volume level to be much higher. Really adds colour in the first chorus and the part after the bridge.
Not forgetting the bass guitar, which proves to be important as the song sounds funny without it. As playing the bass guitar is my weakest skill, it is usually recorded last so I have a sense of how the song went. Simple bass lines throughout the song that calls for nothing fancy.
![]() |
| Click here for the video! |
So after I'm finally done contemplating, I jumped right into my next cover (one which I did half a year ago). I was on the mindset of selecting a simple song with a simple drum riff and God Is Able popped right up. I recorded all 5 parts, but ended up scrapping the cajon part because of the reasons stated.
A very classic worship song, it encompasses a plethora of instruments. I was able to replicate the 2nd keys in the background with a lot of reverb on my rhythm guitar and hanging longer on bass notes. I needed the lead line to cut through the thick mix so the Telecaster was the obvious choice.
Used WT's Brad's Patch for my lead guitar. Straight up clear and distinct lead tone with a crunchy cleans for the verses. The lead riff is really catchy, and it delivers the much need freshness after every chorus, or even the bridge.
Used WT's Brad's Patch for my lead guitar. Straight up clear and distinct lead tone with a crunchy cleans for the verses. The lead riff is really catchy, and it delivers the much need freshness after every chorus, or even the bridge.
For my rhythm guitar, I needed something sweet and I found it at the combined pickups position. The single strum at every bar had to deliver the tasty backdrop mixed in with strong reverbs. Used the WT's Archigator patch for it and had no regrets. Strong dirt lines in the chorus too!
Acoustic presence can be heard distinctly in the original song. Therefore, I applied a dynamic strumming pattern that varies throughout the song, and set the volume level to be much higher. Really adds colour in the first chorus and the part after the bridge.
Cajon line was actually simple too. Same beat throughout the song. Sadly though the background noise was too much to handle and the sounds aren't distinct enough. I might just invest in a Midi drum pad to fulfil that need. Hillsong acoustic sessions are already using Midi drum pads anyway.
Yes, a Midi drum pad might just be my next investment. My 4 drive pedals and analog pedalboard will have to wait again. Sadly, I don't really know when I will ever be able to use those 4 drives on a proper board. Anyway, that's not the point for this post!
The cover is set. I love the MacBook Pro. I love all my guitars! Happy 55th birthday Singapore!
Edwin Ang
9th August 2020






No comments:
Post a Comment