Saturday, 3 February 2018

ðŸŽĪ Shure SM57

So apparently, I had this problem ongoing with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 that I can't really come to terms with. Because my laptop is a little old, I have to had its charging cable plugged in all the time. And because the charging cable for some reason is grounded, there's this buzzing noise if I were to record my guitar direct-in.

So far I have been recording the songs without the laptop being charged (sounds awesome btw) but it has died on me a few times suddenly and I was quite frustrated. I'm now experimenting the other only way to record my guitar: Microphone.


I wasn't always ready to record using the microphone because I could have just used my phone. But my phone picks up all kinds of external noises so they are damn irritating. Enter the Shure SM57. Classic instrument microphone used by millions around the globe. I have personally seen my friends use this model so I have total faith in the SM57.


I would still plug this mic into my Focusrite because this model doesn't operate by battery, but by gain or preamp. So now either I record through the Tech 21 Blonde into the Focusrite or this Shure SM57 into the Focusrite. The quality of the sound now depends on my Yamaha THR10C. Lots of experimenting needs to be done.


Thankfully, the Carouseller included a 30cm XLR to XLR cable inside the total price of $97. I am quite satisfied with this purchase because my siblings can also use the mic if they need it too! For $135 brand new, the amount I paid for was a steal!

Then, I went to Sim Lim Tower to buy a mic stand for this microphone. Costed me $40 but it was worth it considering the insanely awesome Made In Taiwan quality!


To end off, I'm really excited as to how I can use this mic, not just for recording the THR10C, but my acoustic guitar too! And not forgetting my brother's cajon!

Edwin Ang
3rd February 2018

***Update as of 30th June 2018: This microphone with the stand is no longer with me. It has been sold for $100 total. The Line 6 Helix does everything at this point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

📖 Psalm 95:1-2

O come, let us sing unto the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation! Let us come before Him with thanksgiving and extol Him with music and song.