Monday, 3 May 2021

ðŸ˜ģ Two Steps Back


In preparing to take another huge step forward, I had to take two steps back first and update the board to version 5.5. I have listed these 2 pedals for months but nobody seem to know they even exist. This is the problem of living in Singapore. The exposure to custom pedal builders is limited to only popularity.

These two pedals, though having one of the best designs I have ever seen in my life, doesn't sound too great to my ears. I still prefer classic tones that doesn't need amplifiers to shine. I remember getting these two from Andertons just as they were on sale. The joy of receiving them and taking photos of them were just so insane!!!

Tonight, another worship guitarist on Carousell approached me for a trade. My pair of Snake Oil pedals for his EHX Soul Food and Fulltone Fulldrive 2. I agreed since it would be way easier for me to sell his two pedals than my two pedals.

However, this trade came at a heavy cost, with me losing close to $200 worth of value. Of course, knowing that this guy is using my 2 beloved pedals up on stage to continue praising God gave me a lot of peace.

I immediately put the Fulldrive 2 up on sale as soon as I reached home. There is no way I'm fitting it onto my current board so there's that. The Soul Food, however, can now be my "always on" pedal for the time-being. It fits in on my board better than the Very Thing will ever do.

Now for my next huge step, I'm thinking of putting a true transparent drive in the slot of the Soul Food. Something along the lines of Timmy Overdrive, JHS Morning Glory, Emerson Paramount or EQD Westwood. Or go crazy and put a Nano POG in that slot!

For now, tone-wise, I have achieved what I intended. The sound could be better with a drive more transparent than the Soul Food. But for now, I think it'll suffice.

Edwin Ang

Tags: PBv5.50

*As of 9th May 2021, the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 has been sold for $120.
**As of 29th September 2021, the EHX Soul Food has been sold for $70.
***Total loss incurred with regards to this post: $210

No comments:

Post a Comment

📖 Psalm 95:1-2

O come, let us sing unto the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation! Let us come before Him with thanksgiving and extol Him with music and song.