So what is it about CC vs DD? In a nutshell, a delay pedal takes the input signal and echoes it a few times, depending on the speed and duration being keyed in. For digital delays, I describe the sound as a long and clear delay. This is because it's a digital signal and the echoes doesn't really degrade that well. This is an advantage if you wanna cut through a band on stage. But for analog delays, the echoes from the original signal are short and degrade naturally. This is the ideal kind of delay because of its analog nature, thus producing a warmer tone than the digital delay. Both has its uses so you can't really determine which one is better. (A similar example would be asking you to compare apples with oranges. Both are fruits, but both are different fruits.) ð ð
And so, I finally laid my hands on the MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay pedal. For starters, if you mention the words "Analog Delay" to electric guitarists, the first thing that would come to their is the MXR Carbon Copy, because it is the number one iconic pedal of the delay world. For those who have been following my posts, you will know that I have a Boss Digital Delay 3 (Let's call it DD in this post for short) with me ever since I started electric guitar. Now that I have the MXR Carbon Copy (CC for short), what would I do with my DD? ð
I had thoughts of selling off my DD-3 from the very beginning, and I still intend to do so. Here's why. I have the Line 6 M5, and most of the time I find myself using its Digital Delay instead, because of the tap tempo function. Yes, it may not be necessary for home practice because I got all the time in the world to match the tempo of any song, but it does make a difference on stage if let's say the leader wants to change tempo. If I were on the DD-3 on stage, it would be impossible to match the song's tempo, thus rendering the DD-3 useless. I would rather use the Carbon Copy as it blends in quite well even though the tempo is not matched properly. Since I use my M5's Digital Delay more than my DD-3, maybe it's time to let it go. I do need a Chorus pedal so it's either my Line 6 M5 do the job or I get a legit Chorus pedal (which means one pedal space). Yeah I used to think PT2 Classic was huge... ð
Nice huh? I used to think the MXR Carbon Copy was black in colour. But when I got it, it has this dark sparkling green colour. Very cool. Bought it for $100, 2nd hand, from some guy who is as passionate about guitar as me. He is around my age so I made a friend too! This pedal needs no introduction because it is already as famous as the internet claim. However, I do have a huge problem on hand. This is my 10th pedal... Okay, let's not count M5 cause I power M5 separately. This is my 9th pedal. And my Voodoo Lab PP2+ has only 8 outputs. GG.
I have checked, nowhere else in Singapore other than Swee Lee retails the Output Splitter Adapter. And just my luck Swee Lee is out of stock for that product. GG indeed. So for now, this means either the Ditto Looper or the Wah sits out at any point in time. If I use one, I don't use the other so this is an easy choice. Let's just hope Swee Lee ships in the Voodoo Lab products soon! ðŦ
Until then, let's hope I can get rid of the DD-3 and get my hands on Corona Chorus instead! And with this, my all time record for the most number of posts in a month gets broken! Yay! ð
Edwin Ang
26th October 2016
Tags: PBv1.60
***Update: As of 4th November 2017, the MXR Carbon Copy is no longer with me. It has been sold for $110.
***Update: As of 4th November 2017, the MXR Carbon Copy is no longer with me. It has been sold for $110.



No comments:
Post a Comment