Thursday, 10 January 2019

ðŸŽļ Throwback Series Part 1 - Guitars

I can't look into the future without examining my past right?

This is my guitar. Mine. Built from nothing. Custom parts. I call this guitar the Edcaster. It's a special spin-off from a 1969 Thinline Telecaster. Comes with compound-radius fretboard and locking tuners, coupled with vintage noiseless pickups and compensated brass saddles. What makes this guitar so special is that it is the only piece in the world. I am very proud of having owned this guitar. ðŸŽļ  

Squier Bullet Stratocaster
This super iconic guitar was my first ever electric guitar. I remember walking into Swee Lee and just said I wanted a beginner's guitar. Dude handed me this and I was super excited to start diving into all the Hillsong riffs. I had so little knowledge of guitars and pedals at that time and it sure was one tough ride at the beginning. Of course I eventually had to sell it away to move on with my guitar journey. Would definitely pick the exact model up again and mod it to my own liking!

Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute
The very next guitar I got in my life is this Gibson guitar. Such a premium brand in the hands of a noob must have been very shocking to most. I also only bought it because I saw so many people play it on YouTube. I remember having sleepless nights when this guitar ain't by my side. I remember the woody smell of a brand new Gibson LP Studio and admiring the classy headstock. Had it for a good long while because it's my first love with humbuckers. Will also be interested to pick up an exact model in the future!

Random Telecaster
This Telecaster is the guitar that boosted me into the Telecaster world. Saw this going for $100 on Carousell and just jumped the gun. It was sweet sounding and I actually recorded a quick riff with this guitar through the Micro Crush. Soon after I sold it off because I was quite lazy to change its strings.

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Another amazing deal on Carousell got me this guitar too. It was bundled with another random acoustic and a 5-way guitar stand for $100. Couldn't give it a miss. Brought it home and gave it a good clean up before selling it away to earn some quick cash. Guitar feels good but nothing compared to what I've owned.

Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telcaster
This was my main guitar for a very long time. Was so happy when Swee Lee finally contacted me that this guitar was in stock. Immediately bought it and had a lot of fun with it. I recorded many guitar covers with it and loved it a lot. Some time later, I lusted for a Fender Telecaster so off this guitar goes. Will seriously consider getting this guitar again sometime.

Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus
Another amazing deal on Carousell got me this guitar for $500. It was the guitar that I wanted before getting the Gibson Tribute. This Epiphone Tribute has Gibson Classic 57 pickups in it and coil taps which I wanted most. Sweet sounding guitar. Eventually sold it because of the ugly headstock of Epiphones.

Fender Classic Series 60's Stratocaster
One of the sweetest sounding Stratocaster I've ever owned. Legit. Although it was quite old and doesn't look new, the feel is damn solid. I'm not sure what the previous guy put for the pickups but damn it sounded good. The colour is also my favourite. Got this in a trade with my Gibson Tribute. No regrets at all.

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
This is the other guitar that became my main guitar for a good year or so. Played many gigs with it and had like 5 guitar covers with it. Very versatile guitar and very nice-looking too. Compound radius fretboard and locking tuners are some things that I experienced and want every guitar of mine to have it too. Sold it away with regrets because I'm just not playing as much as my Thinline Telecaster.

Gretsch G5420T
Had my take on the Gretsch Hollowbody series because "Gretsch = worship music". Managed to record my best version of Hosanna on it. Body was way too huge for me and neck was too sticky. Bigsby was great though. Brings a whole new vibe to a guitar. Classic vintage sunburst colour again!

Fender FSR Ash Telecaster
This was an awesome Telecaster. Sold off my Classic Vibe to get this and honestly had no regrets. The vintage noiseless pickups were amazing and I even took it out to put in my Edcaster. Bright yellow colour is still my favourite amongst Telecasters. No regrets at all with this one.

PRS SE Custom 24 Zebrawood
Behold the most beautiful guitar I've ever owned. I was so happy when I obtained this guitar that I spent close to $200 on upgrading it with locking tuners and pickup covers. It seriously looks fabulous with the matching headstock and defining wood grain. Sadly, this guitar came in at the wrong time and I was desperate for cash to get the Line 6 Helix. 8 months later though, this prodigy son returned and I was overjoyed once again!

Edcaster
Next is my number 1 guitar!!! Like seriously, this is all I've ever wanted in a guitar. Can't speak for the bad assembly after a bad experience with a Carouseller but that doesn't stop me from loving my best guitar ever. Looks, feels and sounds just exactly like what I wanted. Words can't describe how happy I am just seeing this dream come true.

ESP LTD EC-1000 VB Duncan
Finally my most amazing guitar ever. This guitar comes with a crazy huge backstory and it really brings back a whole lot of memories. For starters, I actually physically bought this guitar from New Zealand and hand-carried it back to Singapore. It plays and looks like a dream! Maybe this will be my tour guitar since it already saw 2 countries?

Aria Acoustic Guitar
This was an awkward guitar. Awkward feel, awkward size, awkward colour. Didn't know much about acoustics at that point in time that I rashly bought this guitar. It was quite demoralising that I gave up guitar for a short while. Soon sold it away after trying out one of my friend's guitar.

Maestro Protege SA-1ce
This was my main acoustic guitar for a super long time. This was the friend's guitar model I was talking about. After playing his, I felt like this was the guitar I needed all along. So I went to the shop at Peninsula and bought it without hesitation. Learnt a lot of music on it and this guitar became the only guitar I would recommend to new players.

Yamaha FSX830C
Finally the acoustic guitar that I carefully selected in the vast acoustic world. The bindings throughout the guitar is the number one selling point for me. Then comes the crunchy feel of it. Being just a little smaller than the regular acoustics, I'm pretty much satisfied with this guitar as my only acoustic for the rest of my life. No Taylor or Martin can sway me out of this one.

Yamaha TRBX174EW
How could I ever forget about owning a bass guitar? I was so crazy about guitars at one point that I wanted to cover the 3rd stringed instrument on stage as well. Sadly I still prefer 6 strings so this guitar was mostly a try out session for me. Definitely cool to know that I can play the bass if ever there's a need to.

This bass guitar stayed with me for 4 years and have seen through many of my pedal changes. It's a great bass to start with for a guitarist like myself. No regrets owning it!

Click  >>> for the next instalment in the Throwback Series!

Edwin Ang
10th January 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

📖 Psalm 95:1-2

O come, let us sing unto the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation! Let us come before Him with thanksgiving and extol Him with music and song.